Friday, August 31, 2007

Call Me Stupid!

Yes,thatwould be me. Back on Aug.3 I got an e-mail from my bank saying that to keep my on-line banking secure they need to up-date my records and ask that you take a few mins. to fill out the info listed. Well it looked so real I did,and yes you can guess what happened. Then this Tues. I get a call from the real bank wanting to know if a large amount of $ was made by me in a bank to bank transfer. I almost passed out!! Of course they begin to tell me all the bit about that being a fraud e-mail to get my bank info. I had to cancel my checking acct.,my debit card, my credit card etc... and open up all new ones,call the credit office and put an alert on my SS# and other credit cards,what a mess. And the bad thing is we don't know if it's over yet or not. The credit office said they would have an alert on all my stuff for 6 months.
What's funny,I was always after Don because he would see something on TV and want me to call and order it. I would always tell him no I wasn't going to give out our acct.# over the phone or anywhere else.
Guess I learned a hard lesson. I know now anything that ask for your personel info,even if it is your bank,DELETE,DELETE,DELETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like they told me, we want ask for your personel info because we already have it,same for the phone,electric or other such company that would have certain info on file. He says all them should have whatever info they need on file and shouldn't have to ask you for it,if they do red flag it and tell them no! One good thing is that I had save that e-mail and was able to e-mail it to the on-line security at my bank so they could try to trace it. And they are going to replace the money stolen,YEA for that.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! That is horrible. I'm glad they're giving your money back and hopefully that will be the end of it. Thank goodness the bank called right away and you could take care of it.